Monday, May 08, 2006

Let any party win, say Mammootty and Suresh Gopi


Malayalam film stars Suresh Gopi and Mammootty are reluctant to air their views about the elections to choose a new assembly in Kerala, saying their opinions could spark political reactions.

Both the actors indicated it would matter little to them who won the polls, but Gopi was more forthright.

"Sorry, friend, a reaction from me would certainly spark reactions from many other places. Let anyone win," Gopi told IANS over telephone from a film shoot at Kothamangalam near Kochi.

"It is not going to change my fortunes because I have to eke out a living by donning the grease paint," Gopi said, adding he would be unable to vote because he would be shooting during the balloting.

"I have to shoot the climax of 'Pathaka' on April 22 at Kochi and I have to be at the Mookambika temple the next day. I just won't be able to cast my vote in the capital city," he said.

Mammootty too will not be able to vote in the Kerala elections as his permanent residence is in Chennai. He said he expected to be in Chennai to cast his vote for the May 8 Tamil Nadu elections.

Asked about his political opinions, Mammootty gave a taciturn reply: "I have my own opinion and preferences on who should win but I am sorry I cannot open my mind to you."

Speaking on telephone from a location in Tamil Nadu where he is shooting for his latest film "Prajapathi", Mammootty was diplomatic. "Don't think I am playing it safe by not revealing my mind. It is because an actor cannot reveal (his mind) as this is a very political matter. In simple terms I will say let anyone win."

Probed further on whether he would like Chief Minister Oommen Chandy to be given another term or he would prefer Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) veteran V.S. Achuthanandan to become chief minister, the versatile star broke into laughter.

"Chandy has proved his mettle, while Achuthanandan is yet to get a chance," he quipped.

Mammootty, whose latest release "Thurupugulan" is doing very well, has been chairman of the CPI-M-backed Kairali TV channel since its inception in the late 1990s.

Mohanlal, another Malayalam superstar, could not be reached because he was busy shooting for his latest film in Jammu and Kashmir. According to reports, Mohanlal too will be unable to vote in the Kerala poll

No comments: