Monday, March 13, 2006

Suresh gopi talks about Lanka and future films


" Lanka is a trendsetter": Suresh Gopi

Suresh Gopi is a happy man after the release of Lanka. Recently the actor met with an accident on the sets of Rashtram and his right hand is in bandage. He is taking a small break from busy schedules and is busy dubbing for two films. In this chat, he talks about Lanka and future films

Tell us about your new release Lanka?
Lanka is a trendsetter which has opened to mixed response. When I heard the story from writer-director Sajan, I knew that this film would be different from what I have done so far. I think that Malayalam cinema needed a change and let Lanka kickstart the process (Smiles).

But critics say that the film is not suitable for family audience. Please comment?
I think Lanka is for everyone. I will be taking my family to watch the film after my kids exams are over. There is nothing vulgar in it.

How do you rate Mamta’s performance?
She has done a great job, which may even fetch her National award. It is her film, as the subject is female oriented and she has done full justice to her character.

Don’t you think that the character of Captain Sravan goes totally against your current image?
It was deliberate on my part to have change of image. As an artist I wanted to experiment with new roles. It was a great challenge for me to do this flamboyant role of a vagabond womanizer.

What preparations did you take to get into the skin of Sravan?
It was not easy and I had to change my looks, body language and mannerisms for the role. I watched many English and Hindi films which revived the youth in me. Actually I should have done this role in my younger days, but unfortunately it didn’t come to me at that time. Better late than never (Laughs).

What is the message of the film?
The story of Lanka is based on real life incidents that happened in Lanka. It is the story of many Lanka Lakshmi’s whose lives were shattered in their country.

Tell us about the songs?
The songs in Lanka are fast and peppy tuned by Srinivas. It was yet another challenge for me to do such romantic songs shot on the Malpe beaches. Remember that my recent films did not have songs.

The lip-to-lip kissing in the climax was a rude shock to the audience of Kerala. Please comment?
Please don’t see it as a mere kissing scene. It was very essential for the climax and even while we shot the scene it was never conceived as a passionate kissing scene. It was just transfer of poison from Sravan to Lanka. Remember that Sravan’s hands and legs are tied up and the only way that he could kill Lanka was by transferring poison that he had stored in his mouth.

Will we see another character like Sravan soon?
Why not? If I am convinced with the script I will do more films like Lanka. I am talking to director Roshan Andrews on a film and the title is Womaniser! However my next release is Rashtram in which I play a goonda in the first half who becomes the Chief Minister in the latter half. Then it will be Shaji Kailas Chinthamani Kolacase a whodunit thriller and I play an advocate.

No comments: